Saturday, April 28, 2012

April 28, 2012 Update on PBIS and Environmental Ed

Reflection of PBIS and Environmental Education

I am understanding PBIS better after today's presentation.  I wonder if it wouldn't be more effective if every teacher could participate in the same training.  There might be less opposition from other teachers, and more clarity of purpose if everyone had the same training.  Just being asked to go through the training helps teachers get on board.  I've heard this is the next step for my school.  I'm struggling with the concept of rewards.  It will be interesting to see how this goes. 

Environmental Education

Brittany did a great job of presenting today!  I loved the tree activity, and wondered about adapting it for my fourth graders.  Lumbering is a part of our Wisconsin History curriculum, and I teach the concept of board feet.  Even though we were not sure what to do, or if our answer was correct, I thought the activity taught us perseverance and team work.  These are essential skills for our students!

The research I did this year with inquiry projects and all that I have learned in the last two years have solidified changes in my teaching.  Engaging, motivating activities enhance learning.  Hands-on projects are more engaging than lectures and worksheets, for teachers as well as students.  Brittany reminded me that I don't have to be the expert.  There are a lot of resource people in the community who could help with any number of projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment