Sunday, May 6, 2012

May 7, 2012 End of Master's Program Reflections

The UW-LaCrosse master's program is coming to a close now.  I wanted to finish very strong this semester, but know that having my husband gone for six weeks derailed my work.  I am hoping that I have updated everything well enough, even though it won't be completed perfectly. 

Work has never consumed me more than the last two years.  I have also never felt so rewarded in my work as I have with this program.  I know it was a necessary step for me to grow as a professional, and for me to feel viable as a contributing teacher for the years to come.  I do not expect the growth to be over, only the master's program.  One of the most valuable assignments and pieces of work for me was to constantly be thinking about my practice and how I could grow and add to that growth through the seven strands.  I remember when I didn't really know what social justice was.  Today, I have a pretty good handle on what it takes to be the best educator possible.

Next year I will be reading and sharing magazine articles.  I will continue my work as a math coach, and open my classroom for others to observe engaging lessons.   Plans are already made for my updating the promethean math lessons this summer after we get our new curriculum updates in June.  I am wondering if I should continue this blog, or begin another.  I am leaning toward a new blog, keeping the seven strands, SMART goals, and updating resources that I read.  I have a few summer reading ideas from our PLC presentation.  For a small moment sometime this semester, I wondered if I would be done growing and give less to this job next year.  I realize that I do not want to be anyone but the educator I have become, and to finish the last years of my career as an educator, as a contributor, knowledgable and up to date on everything educators should know about and do.  Another thing I have learned is that I would rather be on a team, working together, than working by myself.  I will continue to value being part of a professional learning community at my school, as much as I have valued being a part of our master's professional learning community.



No comments:

Post a Comment